I love Fall! I really can’t get enough of it! I want roasted vegetables, soup, and anything with pumpkin! This waffle is the perfect way to get your pumpkin fix in a healthy and delicious way. Be sure to serve the waffles with plenty of almond butter caramel!
PUMPKIN CHIA WAFFLES
YIELD: 3 waffles
1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin puree
1 1/4 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (coconut, almond, cashew, etc.)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1. Blend pumpkin puree with milk, vanilla and coconut oil until completely smooth. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and coconut sugar in a large bowl.
3. Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
4. Gently fold chia seeds into the batter and let rest for a few minutes to allow the seeds to absorb into the mix.
5. Pre-heat waffle iron while mix is resting. When hot, spray or brush waffle iron with coconut oil and pour in about 1 cup of waffle batter.
6. Cook according to waffle maker directions. Repeat with remaining batter.
7. Drizzle with almond butter caramel and any other desired toppings.
ALMOND BUTTER CARAMEL
4 Cocomels coconut sugar or pumpkin spice caramels (available at Sprouts, Whole Foods, or online)
2 tablespoons almond butter, at room tempertaure
2 heaping tablespoons coconut oil, solid or melted
2-3 tablespoons maple syrup, based off preference
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
big pinch of salt
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a small pot over medium heat. Constantly whisk until melted, 4-6 minutes, add more sweetener if desired. Drizzle warm over waffles or your favorite dessert.
Photo by Amy Angelo Photography